Thursday, November 4, 2010

Happy Anniversary!

The other night was interesting. I was celebrating my first year with my two girls. After working all day, reading stuff on the forums etc. my insides weren't right with my outsides.

I remembered two things I read yesterday; the first talking about the feel you have with your horses, the second being a thread on spiritualism and paganism. I thought about the disconnected feelings I had been having, trying to please too many, including myself with what I thought was wanted. Clocks figure prominently in all of this as they always seem to as does my job.

Anyhow, by the time I was out to the barn I was refocused, and re-centred on what is important: being in the moment.

All I did that night is what I did the first time I brought home the girls. Take care of them. Groom them for the mud and burrs in mane and tail. Pick out feet.

Pretty boring right?

Re-energizing. Things that we had never tried before were easy. Both my girls picked up all four feet, twice, once all from the left side, then again all from the right. Cayleigh's reaction was particularly interesting, a light tap of the leg closest to me, no trouble, know what that means. One clean foot later and a tap of the foot on the other side. Well, her head went down, ears out, eyes wide. I just continued to softly tap for about 20 seconds and got a big lick and chew and up pops the foot. It was just communication we were together in the moment. I'm happy to say that those moments are happening more often week by week.

Also for the first time, I tried draping my arm up along their neck and over the poll just because it seemed like a good thing to get used too. I got the idea from the last Saavy Club DVD on bridling. They both did it without any brace. Cayleigh's ears are particularly sensitive so that was so sweet.

Small stuff, but it is that stuff that makes life so good. 


I'm not sure if I can call this UDT or if it is "demanding" UDT. I'm asking for new things but simple things in a way that is relaxing. These things seem to build a bond, letting my girls know what is in my heart but still getting in the daily barn chores we all have to do.

5 comments:

  1. OH, great "undemanding" play time. When I do things like this, I forget about time and spend hours with my horses without even knowing it....

    Petra Christensen
    Parelli 2Star Junior Instructor
    Parelli Central

    ReplyDelete
  2. When is your "anniversary" with your girls? I just realized that Tuesday marks seven years with Cricket. Man, how the time flies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I picked them up on Halloween as it got dark and have been getting tricks ever since!

    PeterC

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Aniversary to you and your girls. I bet you can look back and see how far you have come.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you very much for the well wishes!

    It has been an interesting journey so far!

    PeterC

    ReplyDelete